Patients who develop diabetes may have certain predictors which point towards an increased likelihood of developing the disease. These factors are different for type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes:
- Family history of type 1 diabetes.
- Race or ethnic background - The risk of type 1 diabetes is greater in caucasian population.
- Presence of islet cell antibodies in the blood.
Type 2 diabetes:
- Family history of diabetes.
- Age over 45.
- Race or ethnic background- The risk of type 2 diabetes is greater in Hispanics, Blacks, Native Americans, and Asians.
- Metabolic syndrome.
- History of gestational diabetes.
- A history of polycystic ovary disease (PCOS).
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- History of vascular disease (such as stroke).